Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:34:25 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, samit@usa.ltindia.com, commiters@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rfork()

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Hence the NEW flag RFSTACK. Why would this be a bad thing? This would keep
> :the old behavior and allow much nicer new behavior. I didn't suggest
> :changing the old behavior. This would just greatly simplify things so all of
>
>     I think Richard Seaman has it right:  the stack needs to be passed.
>
>     Why don't we simply implement the linux clone()?  It sounds to me that
>     it would be trivial.

Doing clone() in libc that calls rfork(2) and doing all the stack setup
should be pretty easy..  (Richard has done it already, yes?)  On the other
hand, the linux emulator needs it so there's a counter-argument for making
it a proper syscall outright. Leaving the rfork(2) stuff unmolested and at
least resembling it's plan9 origins probably has some merit - adding extra
arguments would mess that up.

Cheers,
-Peter