Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 19:43:51 -0400
From:      Chris Scarff <trackster@Augusta.Net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Unable to Boot Properly

To All,

I've read, installed and repeated that process five times.  I can't get
the computer to boot either from a boot manager on the primary drive or
from a floppy.  Boot up to install yes, but not after the install!

I would REALLY like to boot from a floppy disk like I do with Linux.

History:
	Cyrix 686 P166
	16 Megs EDO RAM
	2x Panasonic CD-ROM
	3.5" FD
	Running Windoze 95
	1.2 gig HD (Western Digital) [PRIMARY - DOS/Windoze]
	245 Meg HD all for BSD [SECONDARY - FreeBSD].

	When I go thru the install and it asks me weather to use a boot manager
or not, it says that it will ask me more questions about where I want to
boot from later.
	When I do tell it to use a boot manager (because nothing else has
worked so far) the 1.2 gig HD (primary) doesn't use the boot manager.
I'm affraid I'll overwrite my 1.2 gig if I screw up.

	After the Install I've also tried to tell the install floppy where to
grab the knew kernal info from, but I can't find any real instructions
on how to use the boot:  prompt.

	I've tried 0:wdc1a and 0:wdc0b and all types of variations.

	AGAIN, How do I tell my floppy or another floppy, to boot from
my knew BSD HD (secondary drive)?

Thanks,

C. Scarff

--
* *                      trackster@augusta.net                   * *
* * *            Now running Cyrix 686 P166  Windoze 95        * * *