Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        john@starfire.mn.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Re: PAP/CHAP and pppd

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>I would like to convert my PPP link to using PAP and/or CHAP for
>authentication.  Right now, I have a "login" type dialog in the
>"chat" command, but I would like to use the built-in authentication
>methods, particularly because I am going to have to configure
>some systems soon to connet to servers that do not provide a
>login-style connection at all.

>The remote system always ends up sending me a TermReq if I haven't
>authenticated first.  When I allow chap, I get "Invalid Login"
>even though I am using the same password that works in the "chat"
>scripts.

If the systems you're connecting to have traditional UNIX passwords,
they won't be able to use chap (chap requires an unencrypted password
on both sides, I believe--it does some sort of "no-sniff" shared
secret stuff).  You might try PAP and see if that works.

Personally, I had trouble trying to use PAP on my ppp, but that was
user-mode (and I didn't try very hard).

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/