Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:01:42 -0400
From:      Maury Markowitz <maury@OAAI.COM>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: My FreeBSD Experience ]

> You've obviously never installed a third party driver under Windows.

  It doesn't even have to be thrid party, DirectX causes no end of
grief for me.  I have a game a friend loaned me that wanted DX3.  I
already had DX5, which is a full superset.  Nevertheless the game
required me to install 3 over top, so everything else stopped
working.  Installing 5 again make that game stop working.

  Uggg.

> Usability engineering means that after you are done doing it, the
> resulting code is usable.  I don't call a driver that depends on
> a specific version of a system component that's "upgraded" every
> time something demands you install the latest version of Internet
> Explorer particularly usable.

  Our NT installs came with an older version of IE, 3 I think.  I
was going to the MS page for something, but believe it or not I
couldn't log into one of the pages without upgrading IE first.  That
alone makes me wonder.  But anyway I downloaded IE 5 and tried to
install it. It said I needed SP4.  So I download that.  It tells me
it needs SP3.  So I throw it all in the trash and empty trash.

  And then just try renaming a file to something it doesn't like.
You type in the name and a dialog appears telling you it's bad.
However it leaves the bad name on the file, with the editor up.  This
means you have to fix it before you can do *anything* else - like
find out why the name is bad!  Worse, for some reason if you hit
return to close the dialog, that sometimes sends the return to the
editor, which attempts to close it with the still-bad name, and the
dialog comes back up.

  These are all examples of poor engineering.  All it takes to
remove these is attention to detail, a true want to do the right
thing.  If you think usability, you get usability for free, it simply
infuses your products.

Maury