Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:35:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix filesystem structure

> From: Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> Yes, I do agree. Keeping all parts of an application together may be
> useful for MS Windows (e.g.) where programs are called by a kind of
> symbolic links fixed in the start menu structure but doesn't seem to
> practical for a command-line approach where you don't want the path to
> grow beyond limits.

Actually, you have all the parts to do this in a LUI environment like
a Unix shell. You symlink the commands into a central repository that
goes on the path. That's really the only sane way to deal with systems
that package additions into their own directory structure for shell
use. For an IUI, with everything showing up in pictures on the
desktop, the desktop provides that central repository.

Also, the comment about the "keep an application together" approach
being "more modern" is wrong. That's how many packages worked under
v7, BSD 4.x and similar era Eunices. They all replicated the structure
of the flavor of the Unix they came from in their own, or assumed a
top-level directory with that structure. The current aproach -
especially with the addition of sbin, libexec & libdata - is the more
recent development.

	<mike