Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:40:22 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Kieran <kieran@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual/Triple boot

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Kieran wrote:

{...}

> 2. Can I mount Linux file systems (eg my Linux home)?

If you the ext2fs support to your kernel, yes.  Can't remember whether its
supported in any 2.2.x release, but would be there in 3.0.

{...}

> 3. (Probably off-topic) Can I adjust an extended partition to reclaim
> space?

Yes, if you have the tools.  From what I've heard, the commercial product
Partition Magic can do this easily, and at least in v3 and later knows
about linux partitions.

The other way that comes to mind involves a fixit floppy (process is
archive the contents of the partition to another partition, blow away
partition and recreate in fdisk, newfs, restore from archive).  You would
still need something like Partition Magic to relocate partitions to
maximise your free space.

{...}

> As you can see, the swap space isn't exactly overworked... :)
> However, in both the linux and FreeBSD setup routines, I got dire
> warnings (or dark hints) about what happens when you don't have enough
> swap. I feel that perhaps this may have been overstated for a box with
> this much memory. Any opinions?

Someone (David Greenman?) recently noted that you must have no less swap
space than real memory, for FreeBSD.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia