Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:20:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        george <vagner@ti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some questions

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, george wrote:

> Since installing freebsd 2.2.2-release I have had some questions to ask.
>
> 1.  I keep getting a message when i run netscape that says someone else
> may be using netscape and that i cannot use the
>      cache because if a ?filelock or something like that, but it says i
> can continue to run it. If i try and mail a message
>       i get a message of out of memory try quitting some applications...
> how do i fix this filelock thing?

Do what it says and delete ~/.netscape/lock.

> 2.  I have set up user ppp so the system will receive faxes and remote
> logins via the modem but it cannot dial on demand
>      it looks like it tries cause i see the fax led go out and some
> data  being sent to the modem but after about 2 min. i see
>      some more data initialize the modem back into fax mode.

Fax recieve and ppp dialout aren't compatible.  Pick one or the other but
not both.

> 3.  someone said that ELM has a bug when trying to use it through a
> remote login via modem. is this true.? i get core dumped.

It will if it doesn't like your terminal.  try specifying your terminal as
VT100.

> 4.  if i use the command man whatever and dont want to read the rest of
> the man page i hit control C to stop scrolling
>      then my characters are not echoed back to me through the modem and
> i get no new line unless i type "reset"

Try `q'.  Also check y our terminal settings, Control-C may mean something
to your terminal too.

> 5.  I have an epson color2 printer attached to a win nt machine that is
> connected to my network via ethernet but dont know
>      how about setting it up so i can print to it from bsd. Someone
> suggested using samba but I dont know how to use it
>      all i get is a prompt and some error messages for everything i type
> at that prompt.

You'll have to read the samba instructions there.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/

> 6.  I want to be able to access my bsd box from the win nt machine but
> it cannot find any shared drives when i type in the
>      \\hostname\

Install samba.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/

Your questions would be easier to answer if they weren't grouped into one
giant message.

> if any of you can help me figure out any of these questions i would
> appreciate it. I am real new to freebsd about 1 month!

I suggest buying `The Complete FreeBSD' available from Walnut Creek CDROM.
Lots of useful info there.  Also check out our website at
http://www.freebsd.org.