Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:18:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

--------------enig1CDBC70DA4DF0EF8876762F3

On 03/03/2012 20:07, David Walker wrote:
> So I installed amd64 9.0 tonight and decided against installing "ports"=
=2E
> I'm at a point now where I'm thinking about adding it and I see sysinst=
all:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html
> Looks easy.
>=20
> For some unknown reason sysinstall spits the following:
>=20
> Warning: The disc currently in the drive is either not a FreeBSD
> disc or it is an older (pre 1.2.5) FreeBSD CD which does not have a
> version number on it. Do you wish to use this disc anyway?
>=20
> Like any sane person who burned this CD a few hours previously on the
> same machine from within FreeBSD and then installed from it shortly
> afterwards I click "Yes" ...
>=20
> So that doesn't work.
> I wonder what would have happened if I had elected to install "ports"
> during the initial install ...
>=20
> I'm here if anyone's bothered and wants more information.

Once the system is up-and-running, forget about sysinstall.  (Or, for
those of you that keep up with the latest trends, bsdinstall).  The
install is done, and its job is over.

Instead, choose one of the following two exciting command lines,
according to taste:

   # csup -h cvsup.fr.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile=

(Choose a cvsup server near you if you don't happen to be anywhere near
France)

--or--

   # portsnap fetch extract

	Cheers,