Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:30:44 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ron Roskens <roskens@colltech.com>
Cc:        Bri <brian@ukip.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

Ron Roskens wrote:
> There could be another explanation. I had this problem with a NetBSD
> machine running dhclient connecting to ATTBI.
>
> By default dhclient uses a hard-coded value of 16 for the TTL on UDP
> packets. ATTBI had upgraded their network, and the DHCP server was further
> away such that dhclient would never get a response.
>
> modify src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c and increase the value of
> ip.ip_ttl to 64 in assemble_udp_ip_header().

Heh.

This is like a local store "upgrading" its location "to better
server you", and now you need to drive 50 miles further to buy
toilet paper...

You've got to love anyone who puts so much distance between you
and them to increase the number of script kiddies who can get
at you by giving false resposnes to lease requests.

-- Terry