Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:17:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        msalud5@gaitana.interred.net.co (DIRECCION SISTEMAS DE INFORMACION - MINSALUD - COLOMBIA)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Release and Linux

DIRECCION SISTEMAS DE INFORMACION - MINSALUD - COLOMBIA:
 |Please, my question is very short. FreeBSD 2.1 Release make it possible a
 |full emulation of Linux ?

I'm no expert with the specific details, but on a high level:

As I recall 2.1 gets you a.out Linux emulation. 2.2-CURRENT gets you a.out
and ELF.

I'm on 2.2 running several common Linux packages frequently (a.out and
ELF), including the several versions of Netscape as well as the Linux JDK
1.0.1 port, complete with working appletviewer (...that is, until I try out
the FreeBSD JDK 1.0.2 this weekend which Jordan mentioned last night :-).

Kudos to the Linux-compat and the JDK-porting developers!

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com