Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:22:28 -0500
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "Brian A Seklecki (Mobile)" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        Sean McAfee <smcafee@collaborativefusion.com>, Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>, Benjie Chen <benjie@addgene.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

I don't find this as bashing, rather as valuable input, which I always
welcome and appreciate! If nobody brings out the problems then how
is one to know other than thru hard hands-on experience.

Problem I see there is nothing better which works with FreeBSD when
it comes to new servers. Even older ASR driver is not supported under
amd64 Older LSI MegaRAIDs are same crap with half functionality
malfunctioning or not supported.

So what works better than Dell PERC5+DARC5+Broadcom NICs?

I have been using Supermicro + LSI controllers and that is also a bunch
of hack.

HP servers any better?

If Patrol Reads are marketing bullshit, what do you use? consistency
checking? How do you insure integrity of your RAID5 arrays without
either? should parity get screwed up or drives develop bad blocks
and a drive fails, the array will either not have enough parity to rebuilt
replaced drive or the entire array will get hosed. Happened at least
few times to me during the last few years.

The way I see it, until manufacturers such as Dell and HP start fully
supporting FreeBSD, the mentioned problems will never go away
and FreeBSD will always be a bunch of hack when it comes to
supporting hardware such as RAID and or NIC cards. This is why
partly many companies prefer Linux or even Windows.

-Simon