Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:19:04 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My first 4.5-PRERELEASE Issue

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:15:20PM +0000, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Ever since I made world/kernel I've been getting small hangs in my
> internet connection.  These messages have started appearing in my logs
> as well:  sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 1257)
> 	  sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 1258)
> 	  sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 1259)
> 	  sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 1260)

Are you sure you haven't just previously overlooked these types of messages?
I have seen them off and on over the years on various pieces of hardware.
They have been few enough to be considered, by me, harmless.  I often find
"new" error messages when I'm paranoid over something I've recently
changed and there is, coincidentally, a network problem somewhere on the
Internet.  I always suspect my equipment first.

> I seem to get an overflow every 30 seconds or so.  It hasn't really
> hampered my ability to download anything.  I pulled down a 30 meg file
> overnight that averaged 5K/sec.  I watched a download today, and I get
> my typical 5.5K/sec, then it will stop receiving for a second or two,
> then fire back up again.

It could be caused by the ISP.  I'd ask if they perhaps upgraded their
access servers or modem code just to be sure.

> I'd attach a dmesg, but it's been totally
> overwritten by these silo overflows, and I'm not at a point where I
> can reboot.  I'll probably send a pr with more info, but I thought I'd
> get this out there right away.

There is a reasonably recent feature you should know about.  The dmesg
from boot is saved in /var/run/dmesg.boot.  No need to reboot. :-)

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html