Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:20:31 -0400
From:      bill slaybaugh <slay3241@bright.net>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   lost my /etc/spwd.db

After an extended round of disk grinding, trying to swap some free-space
my netscape session bombed out.
I am pretty new to FreeBSD and I didn't know what to make of a repeated
message: "no such file or directory - /etc/spwd.db"
I smelled trouble when I tried to su to root in xterm and got "who are
you?"
After rebooting the machine and failing to get in as root or anyone I
began to realize I had lost my password file.
NOW WHAT?