Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2021 01:53:45 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: github ports

from LuMiWa via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>:

> I decided from many years to switch from portsnap tu github.
> Is it git clone https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports /usr/portsokay,
> please? How are my ports in /usr/pors. It will replace them? And for
> update ports is git update https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports
> /usr/ports

I believe svn is still the most fully up-to-date way to track ports tree.

This was also true for src and doc trees prior to the recent switch to git.

As I remember, FreeBSD used csup for src and doc trees, also ports tree, but switched to svn in 2012 because of a security breach with csup.

I used portsnap before that for the ports tree, but then switched to svn, since I was tracking src and doc trees and was motivated by one-stop shopping.

I expect to switch to git with ports tree as well around the end of March when the ports tree is expected to switch from svn to git.

I suspect portsnap will no longer be workable.

Tom