Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:29:33 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        plm@xs4all.nl
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: recent apm changes

Hi,

>     MI> I've read Linux code (v2.2.9) closely, noticed they put cli
>     MI> before APM BIOS call and save & restore segment registers.  I
>     MI> suspect these two (or only cli?) affect the suspending state.
>     MI> To clarify, could you try attached patches (for
>     MI> sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s) one by one?
>
> I've tried them all. They don't make a difference alas.
>
> In doing so, to my surprise I found out that when I suspend my computer
> in FreeBSD, it isn't suspended at all!
>
> I have an ATX case with an Asus P2B motherboard. When I suspend my
> computer, the power led starts flashing (and keeps doing so).
>
> When I suspend my computer in Linux or Windows, as mentioned, the
> computer gets quiet (HDD spins down etc). The led flashes.

Hmmm, the CLI call is not useful in this case... I also had
another kind of problem about CLI, my box froze sometimes
when suspending.  It shouldn't be put CLI in here as Nate mentioned.

Segment regisers also wasn't related with the problem.  I watched
%fs before & after BIOS call using ddb, the value didn't change on
my box. I guess Linux code only expects some BIOSes manipulate
segment registers.

Another possibility is *delay mechanism* on suspend (and standby).
AFAIK, Linux, NetBSD and PAO has this but CURRENT.  I'll make patch
tonight based on PAO APM code.