Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:08:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "rick - SomersNet, Inc." <rick@123hostit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash paths

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, rick - SomersNet, Inc. wrote:

>I am running FreeBSD for the first time, and I can't seem to figure out
>where it is looking when I run a bash command with no paths..
>
>such as:
># pico
>instead of
># /usr/local/bin/pico
>
>I know on RedHat Linux I can make a sim link in the /usr/bin and
>/usr/sbin directories and it works... So how do I do this on FreeBSD?

Symlinking the world is phooey SystemVism. You should modify your path
properly to find your programs rather than modify the system so that paths
don't need to be changed.

To see where your path is...
$ echo $PATH

To see where a specific binary is coming from...
$ which command

If there happen to be two of the same command on a system, the first one
encountered in the search path will be returned by which.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither