Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:49:06 -0600
From:      "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD_Questions (E-mail 2)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sticky bit & q-mail and DHCP

----- Original Message -----
From: Grant Cooper

> 1. I am using my home computer that uses a DHCP. In /etc/rc.conf
> my hostname is automatically entered. I realize this is the name of
> my computer given to me from my ISP. I purchased my domain
> kooper.ca. Should I change the hostname in /etc/rc.conf to
> hostname="dell.kooper.ca".  If not, what would the origional host
> name be used for? I'm sure I should change it.

    The short answer is it doesn't matter.
    Hostname and DNS name are quite different.  While you can
    make them the same, they really don't have to be.
    When people lookup dell.kooper.ca, only the DNS
    is used.  The hostname is irrelevant.

> 2. chmod +t /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
> What does it mean by sticky bit "+ t"

    man chmod
    Look under the MODES section and find 1000.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
This message is displayed using recycled electrons.