Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:52:20 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fallout from the CVS discussion

On Sep 17, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 09/16/2012 14:45, Warner Losh wrote:
>>=20
>> On Sep 16, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>>=20
be cut into a release branch on short notice.  We need to keep it as =
close to production ready as possible.  People
>>>=20
>>> I find your response here interesting Warner, given that when I have
>>> opposed what I felt were too-drastic changes in HEAD (such as =
removing
>>> sysinstall before a post-install configuration solution was ready) =
your
>>> response has been, "It's HEAD, we can break things ... let's see =
what
>>> happens!"
>>=20
>> sysinstall replacement was a different discussion, with differing =
technical criteria.
>=20
> Right... in the sysinstall case we had a mainline system tool that was
> actively being used, with no replacement in sight. It should not have
> been removed until we had a viable replacement in the base.

sysinstall's primary purpose was to install the system.  It was also =
useful for configuration, and that auxiliary part was missing. Given the =
extreme barrier to entry for the replacement, it seemed wise at the time =
to let bsdinstall in without the bsdconfig part.  Given the bumps we've =
had in bsdinstall, I think the push to get it in was premature from the =
functionality it provided at the time.  We've since mostly fixed it.

> In the CVS case we have something that was _formerly_ in a similar
> category, but is not any longer.

cvs is still being used, but not in a primary role.  I want to make sure =
that the transition is fully documented with the new info before we cut =
cvs loose.

>> Also, using it against me now for consistency likely isn't so good.  =
I think we moved too quickly, in retrospect, on that.  That experience =
suggests we be more cautious in the future, including for things like =
this.
>=20
> Careful! You're coming dangerously close to saying I was right about
> something. :)

You were right, but for the wrong reasons. :)  Nah, I'll give you this =
one.

>>> Now that you are the one opposed to the change, we need to
>>> keep HEAD "close to production ready."
>>=20
>> Look at bz's push in this area.=20
>=20
> Yes, I think it's awesome that someone else has finally taken up the
> "plz 2 stop brking teh head, kplztks" banner. Too bad it's still being
> ignored.

Lots of people say it, until they want something in the system that is =
unstable... :)

>> Also, I'm not opposed to this change, just opposed to this change =
today, as explained elsewhere.
>=20
> Doing it now has a lot of benefits, but ...
>=20
>>> There is a compromise solution here that I have been hesitant to =
offer
>>> because I was really hoping that sanity would prevail. But why not
>>> switch the default MK_CVS knob over to "no" now? That will give us =
an
>>> opportunity to see if there really will be any fallout, and easily =
fix
>>> it if there is.
>>=20
>> I believe that's already been done.
>=20
> It isn't now, but it sounds to me like you're saying that you're not
> opposed to doing so?

MK_CVS moving to 'no' by default is something we can do right away, =
since it is easy to figure out what went wrong for the people using cvs =
and putting it back w/o needing to download anything new.  Living behind =
firewalls can make downloads a pita.  I have had systems with very =
specific holes that made it a PITA to download anything to them, and it =
is a common occurrence.

> Eitan, if you're listening, I'd strike while the iron is hot. :)

Since I thought that had already been done, please do so.  Please make =
sure that ObsoleteFiles does the right thing too :)  Oh, and make sure =
UPDATING is updated.

Warner=