Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:49:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Roger Marquis wrote:

> >The problem is that we never now what SUID, port will install!
>
> Not only "what SUID" but "where" as well.  Ports may be one the best
> things about FreeBSD but there's still _plenty_ of room for
> improvement.
>
> One thing ports don't do well is install themselves in predictable
> locations.  Instead you'll find them installing files in
> /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/libexec,
> /var, etc.  When I install ssh2 I want it all under /usr/local/ssh.
> This alone is a good reason to use ports sparingly (after reviewing the
> patches).

Ever tried changing the PREFIX?

make PREFIX=/usr/local/ssh all install

Should most probably do the trick.

[snip9

> Another thing ports don't do is tell you where they install files.
> "make -n install" or "make -n real-install" rarely yields any useful
> information.  Even the post-install info in /var/db/pkg lacks detail,
> especially when compared with Solaris' /var/sadm.

That is what you have the PLIST for.

> The FreeBSD operating system is a model of good development.  Revision
> control, code review and well thought out policies make it so.  Why is
> it ports don't receive the same attention to detail?

They don't?

Go ahead and make a better ports system.

But note that it must remain as easy to contribute as it is, the present
system must be convertabloe over to it with relative ease and most
importantly, it must actually change something for better.

> --
> Roger Marquis
> Roble Systems Consulting
> http://www.roble.com/

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.