Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:20:09 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: No printer output (HP Deskjet 823Cxi)

> Stupid, I know, but did you have to make changes to the printcap file on
the
> Linux box that
> you didn't make on your FreeBSD box?
>
> Or was there some sort of driver that you installed on the Linux box, and
so
> on.

Nope, it turns out that Linux figured all of that stuff out for me without
telling me. (It's that sort of detail that made me leave Windows in the
first place, but now I kinda miss it.) It turns out that my printer uses
PPA, not PCL. Basically, PPA is to printing what Winmodems are to
communications. The solution is to use a nifty filter that the FreeBSD
documentation team conveniently neglected to mention.

Unfortunately, now I have a new problem! I can't print with Samba. I have a
filter set up to print Postscript and text files just fine. (As in the
example in the FreeBSD manual, it looks at the first two characters of the
file to determine whether it's looking at PostScript or text.) Samba will
also print text sent from a Windows box's command line, but any sort of
formatted output comes out as neatly printed garbage.

My suspicion is that Windows is already translating to PPA before sending
the file. I cannot change anything on that end because the Windows box needs
to work on "real" Windows print servers, too. Does anyone have an idea for a
server-side workaround? Perhaps a way to get the script to detect the PPA or
the UID of the job owner...

I have spent too many hours on this tonight (and this morning), but I will
continue with the scattershot approach to troubleshooting after a few hours
of sleep. Thanks for the help, and please let me know if you have any ideas.

-Dave