Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 21:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xterm error....

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Jonathan Mini wrote:
>
> >   I can't seem to get Xterm to run over X on my 386DX/40. It dies of sig
> > 11's every time I try and run it over X. my .xsession-errors just says
> > "Memory error" (my system log on ttyv0 gives me a more detailed response
> > of "<date> <system> /kernel: pid <xterm's pid> (xterm) uid 0: exited on
> > signal 11."
>
> Hm.  I think I'd believe the system in this regard and guess that you have
> some bad memory and/or processor cache.  Do you have problems with other
> programs mysteriously sig-11'ing, especially under load?

I haven't had _any_ other problems with the system... other than with
ppp's configuration, but that's a different story.

> Try running X (if you can keep it up) then run a bunch of user processes
> (like compiling the kernel).  If the kernel compile barfs then replace
> your memory.

X itself runs fine, so does everything else. just not xterm. I can run as
many copies of such utulities like xrocks and xclock and xearth, etc, etc
even some mroe complex ones. I compiled the kernel for this machine _on_
this machine and it had no problems -- I know it used all of my 20megs
too, because I "time"'d it and it said I swapped 3 times. ;) Therefore
all memory was accessed at least once. Also : if it were memory, I'd have
problems with other systems -- cache is turned off right now and it still
does it.

  The problem I'm having is _NOT_ intermittent. It happens every time.
xterm doesn't even prep the server. It just sig 11's.

> You could have just asked John-Mark and he would have forwarded it to me.

I did ask him first -- he gave me the same repsone you did. ;)

                                Jon Mini, j_mini@efn.org, mini@4j.lane.edu
                                                    GAMMA Development Team
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...."
little.blue.engine:Reality Protection Fault. (core dumped)