Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:42:40 -0700
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

cc'd to sender in case mail is bounced from list

> As a spam prevention measure, FreeBSD *requires* that mail come from a
> host with an IP address with a valid reverse name setup. In my mind,
> this make a lot more sense than ORBS or DUL, as it allows useful but
> unusual setups to work if your ISP cooperates, whereas the other two
> don't.
>
> You can use dynamic dns with this, so long as the service provider has
> reverse DNS set up for your IP address.

There has to be more to the problem than a lack of rdns.
I've had messages bounced while having rdns properly set up.

I sometimes get a 'rejected for content' bounce - which is truly
puzzling. It isn't a html filter as I don't send html andthere
are occasional html mails that do pass through the lists.

And as far as spam getting through freebsd mailing lists - well,
I think everyone can attest to receiving spam directed at the lists.

I don't know why the lists occasionally bounce people's messages, but
it does happen and it ain't because of a lack of rdns.

Pan