Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 1996 19:42:08 -0800
From:      Keith Walker <kew@phobos.walker.org>
To:        Don Dugger <dugger@metapath.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing with a Deskjet

> I've got a Deskjet 680 that I'm using with my FreeBSD 2.1R system. I've
> got the ps stuff piped though gs. Work great, expect one small problem,
> when I try to print man pages the last line is missing. Has anyone seen
> this before or have an idea what's wroug. I also have a Deskjet Plue (old)
> and it has the same problem. I know you can specify lines on the page that
> the printer won't print. Is there a way to tell gs that the page is
> smaller or is there config stuff somewhere that controls this.
>
> Thx in advance...
>
> Don :)

The problem you're having is because the formatting routines that come with
unix assume that you have 8.5x11 paper. In your Deskjet, you have an effective
8.5x10.5" size of paper since the DJ can't print on the last little bit of the
sheet.

The fix?  Pretty simple really, but you'd never figure it by reading man pages
or FAQ's.

As root, edit the file /usr/share/tmac/troffrc, and somewhere near the top of
that file put the command ".pl 10.5i" (I usually go a little smaller) that
tells troff (and its friends) that a page is *not* 11 inches long, but only
10.5" instead.  This ought to fix things up for you.

--
keith.