Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:14:48 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpdate on boot problem

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> wrote=
:
> Are you running a firewall? =A0Do you have a ppp connection?

I'm not running a firewall on the machine in question.  I am behind a
firewall, if that's what you mean.  I don't have a ppp connection.
The box is a server that is running on bare metal, no VM.  Fixed IP
address (198.162) behind a NAT firewall.

But, after booting, everything works correctly:

# /etc/rc.d/ntpdate onestart
Setting date via ntp.
 5 Nov 18:09:31 ntpdate[1324]: step time server 128.10.254.7 offset
-0.000537 sec

> This happens when there is a dependency that is not expressed in the
> /etc/rc.d scripts.

Can you elaborate?  My rc.conf looks like this (pretty simple):

hostname=3D"example"
ifconfig_sk0=3D"inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00"
defaultrouter=3D"192.168.1.1"
sshd_enable=3D"YES"

#Screensaver
saver=3D"daemon"

#Encrypted swap
geli_swap_flags=3D"-d -l 256 -s 4096"

#/tmp in memory
tmpmfs=3D"YES"

#Kerberos
kerberos5_server_enable=3D"YES"
kadmind5_server_enable=3D"YES"

#Time
ntpdate_enable=3D"YES"

Also, the box is 8.2-RELEASE with current updates via freebsd-update.

Rob