Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:04:02 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Scott Mitchell <s.mitchell@computer.org>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for a GOOD 100 MBit Ethernet card wanted

On Mon, 13-Sep-1999 at 00:31:48 +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 06:42:31AM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> > > ISA or PCI?
> >
> > PCMCIA :-) Sorry, I thought, this would have been clear since the post
> > went to -mobile :-).
>
> As the author of that comment in the xe driver I should probably step in
> here.  I could be wrong, but I suspect you'll be SOL finding a 100Mbit
> PCMCIA card that gives anything approaching 100Mbit performance.  CardBus
> would be another story, but support for that is still limited.  The 10/100
> PCMCIA cards are nice, in that they'll attach to a mixed or 100Mbit-only
> network, and give you a bit of extra bandwidth.  I wouldn't expect much
> more than that though.

Of course, I don't expect 11.8 MBytes/sec as I get when two Intel Etherexpress
PCI cards are talking to each other on FreeBSD :-). But I was quite disappointed
of the 1.2MB/sec with PCMCIA. However, in the meantime I managed to test
the same machine under Crap95 and got similar results. It really seems to
be some hardware limit.

I also got an Intel Etherexpress 100MBit ISA (yes, ISA) and this one
does about 4-5 MBytes/sec under Crap95. Someone else told me that PCMCIA
would be faster than ISA so I expected a bit more...

> I'm happy to be corrected on this -- anyone out there have experience with
> any other such cards?

<AOL>
 Me too :-)
</AOL>