Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 15:02:13 -0400
From:      "Adam Maas" <mykroft@explosive.mail.net>
To:        <romero3000@mydomain.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: opinions on Samba

----- Original Message -----
From: <romero3000@mydomain.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 2:31 PM
Subject: opinions on Samba

> Is Samba as a viable as a complete replacement for Windows NT filesharing
> in networks under 100 users. Or is it better suited for situations where
> there is already a unix server in the network that needs to share files
> with nt boxes??   I've implemented it a few times in small networks under
> 50 users as a quick fix but now my company is thinking about pitching it
> clients as a small business file and print sharing solution. Do you think
> that's a viable solution???

The Major Telco/ISP I work for uses Samba to share home directories off our
primary Solaris server at my location.

200+ users across 4 major sites stretching from Vancouver to Montreal. Works
quite well, and far more stable than even Win2K AS. I understand our parent
US corp also uses this type of solution (We've got 55,000 employees
worldwide).

Adam