Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:50:08 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ucred -> cred, cr_<e>[ug]id

* Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> [010904 12:03] wrote:

> Earlier this year, I merged the 'pcred' and 'ucred' structures into a
> single 'ucred' structure, recognizing that in practice our use of pcred
> and ucred was such that the costs of the change were low, but the clarity
> associated with the change was relatively high.  This simplified things
> from a variety of perspective, including reference counting and
> synchronization.  This is a change also performed on a number of other
> UNIX platforms, including Solaris and IRIX.  However, on those platforms,
> the single structure is called 'cred' and not 'ucred'.  As such, I'd like
> to propose that we do the following:
>
> o Replace all references to struct ucred with struct cred
> o Repo-copy src/sys/ucred.h to src/sys/cred.h
>
> I don't feel all that strongly about this change, but do think it would
> make sense given the use of the structure, and the evolution of other
> platforms making similar classes of changes.
>
> On a similar note, when I merged ucred and pcred, I maintained cr_uid as
> the effective uid: other platforms typically stick an 'e' in front to get
> cr_euid, making it consistent with other variables in the structure.  If I
> were to make the 'cred' change, I'd also improve consistency by adding the
> 'e' to the effective uid and gid structures.
>
> Any strong reasons not to do this?

I like how you've merged it into one structure, kudos on doing that,
however I really must object to another wholesale massive commit
for asthetic/stylistic reasons just to rename a structure.

Please keep it as ucred, at least until KSE is done, ideally I'd
like to see the changeover (ucred -> cred) happen a couple of weeks
before we actually release 5.0 to reduce the maintaince factor on
deltas not yet committed.

thanks,
--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
'"Java" developer, like "special" Olympics, right?' - Bill Paul