Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:39:56 +0000
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for "Making a port yourself" in the Handbook

On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 04:17:51PM -0000, Duncan Barclay wrote:

> On 29-Dec-98 Tom Hukins wrote:
> >
> > I didn't like the idea of building a packing list by hand, so I
> > figured out a way of creating packing lists semi-automatically.
> > There is currently no mention of any such technique in the handbook,
> > so I suggest this (or something better) is included:
> >
> > Creating a packing list manually can be a very tedious task. It is
> > often best to create the PLIST file using the "find" program.
>
> Extracted from my mega-make files (http://www.ragnet.demon.co.uk/remake/),
> same idea just does a little more:

[extract snipped]

I had a quick look at your Web site. Your system seems comprehensive
and powerful, but I couldn't figure out how to use this quickly and
easily. If the Handbook describes how to build a PLIST, it should do
so in a way which doesn't require lots of fiddling around.

Of course, if you can describe how to use your mega-make files
easily, that's great, but I'm not sure I'd be able to!

So, if nobody objects, I'll send-pr something along the lines of my
original suggestion for inclusion in the Handbook.

Regards,
Tom