Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:40:07 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teac mt-2st/n50

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980311112336.15994B-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>, Doug White cleopede:
>On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Greg Shenaut wrote:
>
>> I have several of these scsi tape drives, and need to get them
>> working with fbsd225.  They are 160MB DCAS (data cassette) drives,
>> and I have been using them successfully for years with DOS and
>> BSD/OS, so I have lots of data stored on cassettes which I need to
>> get access to.  When I try to access the tapes, I get an "illegal
>> request" message, plus an "oops not queued" when I try to read or
>> write.
>
>Either it's not really SCSI or your termination may be off.

Neither of these are likely.

>What does the probe message for this device look like?

  (aic0:4:0): "TEAC MT-2ST/N50 RV E" type 1 removable SCSI 1
  st0(aic0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x8, drive empty

or, if I put a tape in the drive, the last part is

  ...density code 0x88, 512-byte blocks, write enabled

I have tried using the command

  mt -f /dev/st0ctl.0

with the following parameters:

  ...blocksize 512 (this gets rid of the "bad request, must be between 0 and 0" error)
  ...density 0
  ...density 0x88
  ...density 0x8
  ...density 0x80 (this gets an error from the drive)

When I try to read the drive using the command

  dd if=/dev/rst0 bs=512 count=1 | od

I get an EIO error from dd, and the console error message says "ILLEGAL REQUEST"
and "oops not queued".

-Greg