Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:39:06 -0400
From:      "Paul Horechuk" <phorechuk@docucom.ca>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot Problems

In an attempt to make more room on /usr, I did created a directory in /var
for the libexec files. I copied the directory over and then linked with
ln -s /var/libexec /usr/libexec. This has worked for several other
directories that I had to move. Unfortunately, during the reboot the system
is looking for /usr/libexec/dev/getty, which does not exist at this point,
or so it seems. As a result, I can neither login via console or telnet (a
similar message appears on the console).

I had just finished upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.1 stable via cvsup (RELENG_3).
The system was in the process of make upgrade before the out of space
warning. This had aborted the process and was when I started moving files.

I have tried the recovery method, via the 2.2.6 CD, yet I can't seem to get
any recognizable commands to the emergency shell. Any help other than
reinstalling would be appreciated.

Thanks