Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:57:24 +0100
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org, World Wide Web Owner <www@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Old style quotation [Was:Re: cvs commit: www/en/platforms amd64.sgml]

Chin-San Huang escribió:
> chinsan     2007-12-08 12:13:26 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD doc repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     en/platforms         amd64.sgml
>   Log:
>   - Revert the correct American English style.
>     ( ``Hammer''. -> ``Hammer.'' )

This change made me remember of a thing that I've wanted to discuss. As
a tradition, we use `` and '' character pairs to quote text. This seems
to be strange for people that don't know this tradition and there's no
technical reason to go on doing this, we can just use " ", which seems
to be better formatted according to the current style conventions used
on the web. Is there any objection against that I change them to normal
quotation marks? We already use those in the Hungarian and Spanish web
translations without any problems and the text in the <quote> element in
DocBook also have normal quotation marks in the generated output.

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: gabor@FreeBSD.org .:|:. gabor@kovesdan.org