Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:41:02 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        abgoeree@uwnet.nl
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM was: (OT: [REJECTED MAIL]????????)

Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl> types:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:46:44PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl> types:
> > > Is there a "complaints about SPAM" blacklist? I didn't know that.
> > > Sounds like a list i want to get on:)
> > > Would mail/adcomplain do the trick?
> > Well, some of the SPAM packages/sites (those that help produce it, not
> > those that help fight it) have lists of email addresses that are known
> > to generate complaints if you spam them.
> Sounds good to me, but it's actually the world up side down ;-)
> There should be a list where you have to be on if you want to
> receive SPAM, not if you don't want it...
> I already see SPAM messages like "if you don't want receive this
> JUNK register your address at ...." I believe this is yet another
> trick to get the real address :-(
> First my snailmail, next my phone, now my email, what's going to
> be spammed next?

I'd agree that it's upside down, but it's also the way spam works on
all those other media. You have to ask to have your address taken off
their phone list or junk mail list. Of course, just asking to be
removed isn't enough for SPAM (and has been shown to get you put on
spam lists in some cases); you have to complain in such a way that
the spammer gets interfered with.

> > > Hmm, sometimes i get spammed via mailing lists. I can only
> > > guess that the spammers don't have my direct mail address,
> > > but reacting to these messages would give them the address for sure...
> > Well, they may have it and some filter is getting it. On the other
> > hand, I sometimes see the same spam multiple times - to both one of my
> > mail addresses and to one or more of the lists I subscribe to.
> Yes, and a lot of mailing lists are "public" what AFAIK means
> that anybody can get a list of who's on it. Here where i live
> (the netherlands) i even heard of people getting PAID for each
> valid email address they report, can you believe that?

Given that ads for spam software report "XXX Million addresses for
$YY", yeah, I believe it.

	<mike