Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:19:59 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think about STABLE?

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 10:50:15PM -0500, Ronneil Camara wrote:
> I've been seeing a lot of post which doesn't sound good about STABLE. 3
> Days ago, I cvsup and make buildworld and installed new kernel without any
> problem. Today, there is another machine that I want to upgrade from
> 4.5-STABLE to 4.6-STABLE. What do you think about cvsup'ing today and
> making the world? Are there still any problems? Should I just wait for a
> couple of days? Actually, the reason why I wanted to upgrade to 4.6-STABLE
> is because the perl that comes with my 4.5-STABLE is only version 5.005_03.
> And when I try to compile mod-perl, it says something "undefined" then goes
> back to the prompt.

Perl is the same in 4.6.  Install the port if you want something newer.

You should probably cvsup to the RELENG_4_6 branch which doesn't change
except for security issues.  The "security" branches are the only ones
guaranteed to work all the time.

> If there is an easier way of upgrading my perl, then I won't have to make
> buildworld and the other stuff. And my other concern is that the freebsd is
> a remote machine. So if it got hosed, then I am f-up. :)

Use the port.  But you should update FreeBSD at least to RELENG_4_5.

lambert@lambertfam.org