Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:46:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to create da* device?

--- Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > I am still trying to get my USB hard drive to work.  It used to
> work
> > but now when I plug it in all I get is:
> >
> > kernel: umass0: PI-036 USB2.0 Drive, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> > kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
> >
> > I remember such messages before but after them there were some more
> > meesages beginning with "da0".  But now no da* device is created
> under
> > /dev.
> >
> > I figured maybe this (new) drive has gone bad but it works under
> > Windows 2000.  Any ideas why this has stopped working?  I did not
> > change anything on my system although I just updated my sources and
> > baked a new kernel without success (same results).
>
> What kernel config do you have? custom or GENERIC? What modules have
> you loaded? umass shouldn't work if these options are excluded:
>
> device          scbus           #base SCSI code
> device          da              #SCSI direct access devices (aka
> disks)
>
> maybe this, i'm not sure:
>
> device          pass            #CAM passthrough driver

I'm using a GENERIC kernel.  I have all the kernel devices you mention.
 This was working before!

> Do you have another usb drive that works?

Yes!  An "identical" drive works but this one doesn't (anymore).  But
why does it work with Windows?  The same behaviour is exhibited on
another machine (6.0) [both disks worked and then this one ceased to
work].  The system I am currently using is 5.4.