Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:12:44 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        micko <micko@micko.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp problem

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:35:33PM -0400, micko wrote:
> I am having trouble obtaining a dhcp address from a cable modem (comcast).
> I tried using different NICs and even switch to openbsd to ruleout any
> incompatibility issues, but no luck, as soon as I plug in the cheap links=
ys
> gw everything works peachy. I tried modifying the send/request/receive va=
lues
> for dhclient but that didn't change anything, bug plugging the device beh=
ind
> the linksys or on a network with isc-dhcpd it works ok. Anybody on the li=
st
> using comcast, or maybe can direct me to a right place? Attached is trace
> from dhclient.

Which version of FreeBSD are you running?  Do the windows instructions
from Comcats require that you set some sort of host name?  If so you
will need to so the same in your /etc/dhclient.conf.  We've also had
reports of ISPs that will only issue one active lease for a given
connection and thus if you don't release the connection on one machine,
another won't be able to obtain a lease.

If that doesn't work.  You need to obtain a tcpdump, possiably run
through the net/dhcpdump port to see what's happening.  Any output from
dhclient would also be useful.

-- Brooks

--=20

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H