Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:06:19 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:37:09 -0500 (EST)
 "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:

 > *smirk* I would appreciate credit for my shared VM space work in
 > NetBSD also.  Of course, the similarities in the code could be
 > co-incedental, but it seems very unlikely.

This is a MUCH more serious issue than "due credit in a commit message".
I seem to recall noting that the vmspace sharing code was somewhat based on
FreeBSD's (although it is a little different, and the data structure were
more-or-less ready for it, and the implementation _is_ obvious) when I
committed it to the NetBSD source tree...  but _I DID NOT INFRINGE ON
ANYONE'S COPYRIGHT_... that is the issue.

John: So nice of you to reply in your typical "we love everyone" warm-fuzzy
manner, rather than addressing the SERIOUS ISSUE of a FreeBSD developer
REMOVING copyright notices from code, copied _verbatim_ (right down to
the comments), REPLACING IT WITH HIS OWN.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939