Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 23:34:47 +0200
From:      Kai Vorma <vode@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup's Freefall-centric tree conventions

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

>     There will be multiple servers. Each of them should (I would say MUST)
>   have the same structure. Joe User should be able to reference anyone of

I'm mirroring sup trees on nic.funet.fi. It's a big ftp/www/etc. server
with strict rules for administrators. I really cannot create new file
trees outside the well defined places, so the above is impossible.
The sup trees are

  /pub/mirrors/sup.freebsd.org/current
                               stable
                               ports
                               cvs

(ports and cvs aren't ready yet - I'm currently supping them from
freefall, but it takes some time)

If Joe User wants to use multiple sup servers he can use multiple
supfiles (one for freefall, one for nic etc.). I know this isn't ideal
but it is the reality..

Besides you don't want switch servers often, because sup will update
(not receive fortunately) every file after switching servers. I think
this happens because inode ctimes are different and you cannot sync
them.

One way to solve your problem is to create a front-end for sup which
creates the actual supfile from a user friendly configuration file and
then fires sup client. I can make a perl-script that does this if
there is a need for it.

..vode