Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:37:20 -0500
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Jake <jake@checker.org>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Video card to buy...

> > The #9 Ticket to Ride 4 and that 19" SGI LCD monitor sound like a
> > nice combo, if you can foot the $3K.
>
> This is a wonderful combo, if you can afford it.  I think the street price
> is a bit less than $3K; we got a few via Ingram Micro for somewhat less
> than that.
>
> Note that this combination isn't supported by XFree86, but is supported
> by the XIG Accelerated-X package.   This is the most crisp display I've
> ever used, and th 1600x1024 resolution is sorta nice too.

XFree86 3.3.3.1 supports the Revolution IV (I have the 32M card), as
well as the SGL LCD panel.  I ran it last night at 1600x1200 with 32bpp
(but I don't have the SGI LCD).  For what it's worth, I switched back to
my Matrox Millenium II 8M for 2D; the picture quality is better, it's
faster at 2D (and the server doesn't consume 50M of memory at startup
like XF86_I128 did), and the server supports DGA.

I'm waiting for the Xi OGL product on FreeBSD to have windowed,
hardware-accelerated OpenGL for the Revolution IV (early development
release is already available for Linux).  That's the only reason I
bought the Rev IV.  If more people bugged Xi, the FreeBSD release of
OGL might happen sooner...

Daniel
~~~~~~