Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:10:21 +0100
From:      Tony Balazs <tony@rothstein.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Newbie: trouble with PPP

When I do:

ppp
* term
* atd9,08450798888

all seems fine (connection established, login accepted, dynamic IP address).
But I can't get PPP or Kernel PPP to dial up.

For PPP, my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is:

default:

 #
 # Make sure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)
 #

 set device /dev/cuaa1

# set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: ppp word: netcom"
 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 0 0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

papchap:

 #
 # edit the next three lines and replace the items in caps with
 # the values which have been assigned by your ISP.
 #
 accept chap
 accept pap
 disable pap
 disable chap
ISP:

 set phone 9,08450798888
 set authname whatever1
 set authkey whatever2

But when I do:

ppp
* dial netcom OR dial whatever1

nothing dials

For Kernel PPP my /etc/ppp/options file is:

defaultroute
CrtsctsABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
TIMEOUT 5
'' ATZ
OK ATDT9,,08450798888
TIMEOUT 40
CONNECT
TIMEOUT 5
gin:-\\r-gin: whatever1
sword: whatever2
Modem
User FREEBIE
Lock and my /etc/ppp/dial.chat is:

but again, doing pppd /dev/cuaa1 115200 connect 'chat -f /etc/ppp/dial.chat' FREEBIE whatever1
Causes no dial-up, with an error msg that FREEBIE is unknown.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tony.