Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:20:38 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Anthony Barlow <tony@warp.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD 586 CPU

At 10:03 AM 4/10/97 +0100, Anthony Barlow wrote:
>We're building a AMD 586 150. The machine is planed to be a mail server
>accepting both inbound and outbound mail, it will also be our POP server as
>well as run 4 light mailing lists. As it's a 'major server' you can
>appreciate why we've asked. AT the moment our mail server is an Intel P90
>running Linux 1.2.13 and as performed flawlessly with uptimes in excess of
>60 days, it's never crashed, we only reboot it to clear the RAM and any
>possible stuck processes. The reason for the change is that during peak
>periods it will see loads of around 8, however 99% of the time the load is
>0.01, where wondering with the price of AMD 'pentium' chips, if we could
>the load would reduce during those heavy periods.

Why a 150?  We are talking about a server with a lot of disk IO and the PCI
bus for a 150 is 30, which is why I stay with 100/133/166/200 CPU speeds.
Also good to use several smaller drives.

>BTW we know what causes the load - procmail when it delivers our
>announcement mailing list. I've just seen in a previous message something
>about qpoppers bullitin feature, I wonder if using that feature will get
>around this problem?

Never used procmail, but it sounds like it should have a CPU limit flag,
just like sendmail does, so when load high it doesn't spawn.

I heard in qpop it was broken, so I imagine that I'll be doing a script
that will use a faked header (so POP can read it), lock the mailbox, copy
the message, etc.  With this my ability to choose which users/groups will
receive a copy is greatly expanded and is faster than using mail with less
disk IO.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990