Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:44:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
To:        msmith@revolution.3-cities.com
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link enet card question

> > > Well, I got the Adaptec/Cogent Ana 6911A based on the
> > > DEC 21143-PA chip and it DOESN'T like it!  It loads the
> > > driver fine but tells me that the link is down/ cable problem.
>
> > Try forcing the media type with
> > > ifconfig de0 media 10BaseT/UTP
> >
> > I have a lab of these cards (the 4-port versions) and the work fine, other
> > than they get REAL annoyed if you pull the ethernet cable out.
>
> Nope, it doesn't work.

I purchased a couple 6911A cards from www.onsale.com and I couldn't
get them to work either.  Same problems.  I wrote it off to their
being bad.  This was under -current before the latest de driver was
imported (just last week I believe).  I sent them back and replaced
them with D-LINK 500TX which are based on the 21140-AF chip.  These
worked fine.

I couldn't see what chip were on the 6911 cards because Adaptec
had placed a label over the chip.  But if they were 21143-PAs,
perhaps the de driver didn't know whow to deal with these properly.
I wish I had kept one of those cards so I could try it out with
the update de driver in -current.

Hmm, perhaps you could download a boot/fixit disk from the
daily snapshot server (ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/)
and use the fixit disk to try manually ifconfig'ing your
interface to see if the new de driver will work with those
cards.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org