Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:46:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   $MAIL defaults to /var/mail/userid

Peter Lai wrote:
> How about setting /etc/csh.cshrc or /etc/profile to set $MAIL every time the
> user logs in?

That's a workaround and only works for those shells that use those global
settings. The bug is still there.

This is nuts. It is now happening on my non-qmail system.
It doesn't have anything to do with qmail.

I get $MAIL as /var/mail/username every time.

We're talking FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE here, a completely fresh install.
No difference if rebooted (thought maybe it was caching something),
no difference if using a freshly created user account with a different
shell (/bin/sh instead of /bin/tcsh).

The problem/bug [for the freebsd-bugs folks] is that the environment
variable MAIL is set to /var/mail/userid no matter what one puts in the
/etc/login.conf file (and yes I run cap_mkdb) and also in spite of setting
it in ~/.login_conf.

Even omitting the variable assignment has no effect; it still gets set.
Other variable settings in login.conf work just fine.

So I've got this reproducible on 2 systems now... if anyone can't
reproduce it on a 4.2 system I'd be happy to demonstrate, short of
reinstalling my OS.

   - Mike