Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:29:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uninvited usage for sendmail

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Steve wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:
> > Get sendmail 8.8.5 (seems stable now, been out for a couple of months)
> > and install the check_* rules.  check_relay is the one you want.
>
> One note on this sort of thing.  I have had to deal with sites who didnt
> do this well - where due to mx records, my mailer would try to send to
> userid@machine1.someplace.com via mail.someplace.com and
> mail.someplace.com would complain I was trying to relay -

Quite true.  When I first installed these I carefully listed all
the sites we MX for and built an mxhosts file to be used in conjunction
with check_relay.

I then spent the next couple of days watching syslog for "no relay"
messages sent in error and found several sites I had forgotten about
cause they run their own nameservers.

Once the initial setup is done it's pretty easy to maintain though,
and it really pays off.  It's no fun being postmaster at a site some
sleaze bag uses as a SPAM relay and our rule sets have caught several
attempts since we installed them.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com