Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 21:59:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gdbtk

Thought you guys might like to know;  I was tipped off that the newest
gdb compiled fine under current, I just checked with a program I wrote,
and it sure does recognize our executeable format.  What I'm trying to
pass on is something that we haven't been able to use before, because of
the inability to run gdb out-of-the-box.  That something is gdbtk, a nice
tk interface to gdb.

The stuff exists on ftp.cygnus.com, in pub/gdb (NOT gdbtk, there is one
named like that, but it's snapshots).  The file is gdbtk-4.15.1.tar.gz,
and you have to specify --enable-gdbtk to get it to build, otherwise you
just get the newest gdb (worth something in its own right, I guess).

This thing doesn't care about shared libs, and actually goes about
building it's own tcl/tk version, so the executeable is kinda big, 1.7 megs.
Watch out you modify the CFLAGS in all the makefiles to remove the -g,
else you'll get much larger executeables!  Oh, yeah, the CXXFLAGS (where
they exist) also need editing, and the tk subdirectory should have the
-lnsl removed from the linking flags..

there's a gdbtk.tcl file that needs installing, and I renamed the
executable from gdb to gdbtk, to keep my command line version on tap.  I
think it has some bugs yet, but it does indeed work, I tried it.

I hope this is the right place for this, if it isn't, yell at me.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

     Here's OJ's internet address in hex code:
           00 2F 2F 2F 2F 5C 7F 2D 0D 15 1B 19 24 24 24 18
           If you can't recall the translation, here it is:
           null character, slash, slash, slash, slash, backslash, rubout, dash,
           carriage return, negative acknowledgement, escape, end of media,
           dollar sign, dollar sign, dollar sign, cancel