Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:36:11 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jks@clickcom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RAID 5 with DELL Poweredge Servers & FreeBSD

I wanted to post a follow up to my own message with information that I was
given (thanks Erik and Alan) and with what we have found ourselves..mostly
because I noticed that with at least 5 PERC questions in the archive, there
were *NO* working answers (that I could find at least).

The Dell Poweredge 2400 ships with a PERC/Si controller with a chip provided
by Adaptec (Unsupported). However they do *optionally* will sell you a
PERC/SC card which uses a MegaRaid chipset (Supported!).

After ordering an additional RAID card (because the Si controller is
onboard) and installing it, the container we created was immediately
detected by FreeBSD and everything worked out great!

We've now had the machine up for about a week with a 36GB container created
, RAID 5 and have no problems.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.
jks@clickcom.com
(704)365-9970x101

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=156897+159028+/usr/local/www/db/
> text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000123.freebsd-questions
>
> However it seems to lend to 4.0-current (which I would imagine JAN's
version
> of is now RELEASE)
> as having support for it but I can assure you that unless it's something
you
> have to enable specifically during install, it's not. I would just try the
> 3.0 solution provided there however the Dell comes without IDE or UWSCSI
> ports on it, either of which I would have a HD for, instead only having a
> 50pin scsi port on it for which I do not have a drive to test with.
>
> I would ask if anyone has had any success with any workaround, if not, if
> you had any suggestions on things I could *try* as a workaround. And of
> course, lastly, if anyone has a simple
> recommendation as to which card they would buy right now in lieu of the
PERC