Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 07:24:16 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux Netscape 2.0b6a?

I guess this is an odd question, but I've been trying to figure out what's
wrong with the Linux native netscape when running under our emulator.

Specifically, check http://proto.netscape.com/ and see if it correctly gives
you scroll bars, or whether you have to press arrow keys first.

The scroll bars do not seem to be being resized properly on initial open
of a non-paneled screen either.

It happens to me whether I run it under 2.1R through to the current version
that I've been beating up in my kernel in order to fix problems with it and
fill in missing stuff.

At this stage, it'd be really useful for me to know:
1: Does 2.0b6a actually work on linux properly?  If so, what libc, libm and
ld.so is in use? (the rest of the X11/Motif stuff is statically linked)
2: Does the Linux 2.0b6a version run on the NetBSD linux emulator ok?
3: Does it work for anybody else on FreeBSD?

I know the BSDI version of 2.0b6a works fine for me, but it doesn't have
Java support in it.

I've just about run out of ideas of what to look for..  I've tried a fair
few things already, including imitating the linux signal stack frames
with a specific trampoline and sigreturn for those.  I've found some
non-trivial bugs in the emulator itself that I'm really suprised have not
turned up by now (including kernel VM leaks, mismapped pages, not freeing
resources when doing error recovery, etc).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Peter