Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:19:21 -0400
From:      Jay Sachs <jay@eziba.com>
To:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS v3 server locking fails

m p wrote:

> > We're trying to get an Oracle db running on Solaris 2.6 to work with a
> > 4.3-Stable (7/24) system as the underlying filesystem via NFS. The
> > -Stable box has an ATA raid subsystem. The problem is that over NFS v3,
> > the Solaris system fails to acquire the lock, and NFSv2, though it
> > works, isn't really an option since it's (a) an order of magnitude
> > slower and more importantly, (b) we have files > 2gig.

> Why want you to do this? My experience says: DONT. And if you think about costs
> (using an IDE-raid): DONT.
> The problem is with the Oracle db that it is not nearly fast enough with NFS
> (have done only little tests with NFSv3; sure about NFSv2). Another point is:
> How do make sure that your network connection is permanent?
> Have you tested recovery of a database where network-outage happend in the
> middle of the update (eg pull the plug)? It is hard enough using only the local
> filesystem.

This isn't my choice, I'm just trying to deal with what others have
(mistakenly, IMO) chosen. Your points are all reasonable. One thing is
that a very similar box running Linux worked with acceptable speed under
NFSv3. (The disks died due to insufficient cooling; that's been
addressed.)  The cost of the IDE raid apparently was very cheap (less
than half) the cost of local SCSI disks on the Sun. One other datapoint
is that the idea is to share this storage among several Sun boxes
running oracle, and hence the decision to go with an shared NFS
solution, instead of buying SCSI disks for each sun.  These are not
production data, but test and staging data, so the risks are mitigated
somewhat.

> Side-question: Why do you use Oracle databasefiles > 2gb? If you not have data
> per tablespace in the three-digit GB range, go with smaller ones. On the most
> (in this case HP-UX) you will get some percent more performance .. and a little
> admin overhead.

There is a major db re-partitioning scheduled in the future (3 months
out), and the plan already is to reduce the filesize. Even if we were
going to do this immediately, we have a chicken & egg problem: the files
are already > 2gig, and we need NFSv3 to access them in order to do the
repartitioning.

> My solution would be: Take some money and buy for the Sun more/bigger
> SCSI-discs.

Unfortunately, the money is already spent. The alternative is to switch
back to Linux and use what I'm told are beta drivers for the RAID.

jay