Date:      Wed, 09 May 2007 22:04:57 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: WOW! {Or Holy whatever}

Eric Crist wrote:
> On May 9, 2007, at 8:34 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
>>>
>>> Gary,
>>>
>>> Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard
>>> VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an
>>> additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your
>>> local Radio Shack.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>

>>     It does help, thanks, Eric.  I may have missed the cord adaptor
>>     that was stuck in the box.  Need help to open/check.  Meanwhile,
>>     I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
>>     of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
>>     sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
>>     yes, no, other? :-)
>>
>>     Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
>>     display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously
>>     upscale?  I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
>>     of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
>>     AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
>>     kinds of very high end cards?
>>
>>     thanks again,
>>
>>     gary
>>
>>     PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
>>          EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
>>          lazy; I'm fessing up!  ....
>

> Gary,
>
> A DVI connector has 3 rows of 8 pins and a set of 4 hole is a box shape
> next to it:
>
> +------------------------+
> |  o o o o o o o o  o|o  |
> |  o o o o o o o o --+-- |
>  \ o o o o o o o o  o|o /
>   +--------------------+
>
> There's also a mini-DVI format that's kinda like this:
>
> +-----------------+
> | o o o o o o o o||
> | o o o o o o o o||
>  `---------------'
>
> I'm sure you know what a VGA connector looks like, so I won't draw that
> for you. ;)
>
> At work, we're using the GeForce 7600 GS AGP cards, which have 256MB of
> RAM and dual DVI output.  We're using the FreeBSD Binary driver
> (available in ports) and running dual monitors with full Open GL support
> pretty seamlessly.  I'd recommend that setup to anyone.  It's a feature
> called Twinview which allows your desktop to span multiple monitors, and
> most programs that support xinerama(sp?) are 'aware' of the physical
> border between monitors, so you don't end up with windows popping up
> spanning both monitors. (i.e. maximize doesn't cross both monitors, just
> one).
>
> HTH
>
> Eric Crist

Eric,
	That's one flavor of DVI; memory serves me correctly there were 2:
I-DVI and some other kind (I think the one you have pictured above is
I-DVI).
	I gave my old box to Gary, it's an HDMI ATI 7000 series card, and the
card has an HDMI to Dual VGA plug along with it. I forgot that all the
items were still in the box (did that to ensure that everything was put
in the box and made it through shipping all right).
	Anyhow, getting back to the video thing at hand, if Gary was to
purchase a card he should purchase an nVidia card. It's the only brand
with OpenGL support properly enabled in Linux and FreeBSD. 5000-6000
series would be sufficient.
-Garrett