Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:30:12 +1100
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, lev@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND 9.4.3-P1: internal_send: 199.7.83.42#53: Device not configured, where 199.7.83.42 is RANDOM IP address

     Doug Barton wrote:
 > > > I've never used mpd myself, but you might want to try adding the
 > > > following line to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd and see if it helps:
 > > >
 > > > # BEFORE: named

This doesn't help in the case where mpd may take seconds to negotiate
with $provider for a link; always the case on ADSL here anyway, moreso
for dialup.  The rc.d script exits after launching mpd, so named will
still start 'right away' while mpd - or ppp - is still negotiating.

I 'solved' this chicken-and-egg by adding an ugly sleep 7 after starting
(mpd &) before exiting the script.  Haven't bothered refining what works
once a month or two, but the sleep could be killed by pid from an mpd-up
script as soon as there's a working link.  (mpd 4.1 if it matters)

 > > mpd should also be fixed as the error code being returned is not
 > > approprate.  network unreachable is what should be returned.

It's not mpd's error, or message; named knows nothing about mpd, but
does like its specified listen and *-source addresses to exist.  This
one looks more like a ill-worded 'no route to host' indication perhaps?
Or trying to listen on the address of the (yet to exist) ng interface?

 > I'm not sure that is the whole problem - I found that it would return device
 > not configured 'permanently' when I was using it. The link would be up
 > (apparently) but nothing passes. Sometimes restarting it would fix it but
 > other times it just persistently said the same thing.
 >
 > It seemed like there was some kernel state that was incorrect and even
 > restarting mpd would not fix it.

I've found named requires a proper /etc/rc.d/named stop / start cycle
after all required interfaces are up and there's a default route, here,
and that sleep 7 obviates that for me .. but it's hardly elegant.

cheers, Ian