Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 14:40:06 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a linux shell? (pgroup Fortran compiler)

> Once you're running that, if you (say) try to run ls, the shell will
> try /bin/ls, but because it's in compatibility mode this will try
> /compat/linux/bin/ls first, so you will get the Linux ls.

> This works sufficiently well that using gcc will result in the Linux
> gcc being run and generating Linux binaries, but I don't know if it will
> be enough for what you need.

It doesn't seem to be doing it, no :(

fac13# /compat/linux/bin/bash
bash# echo $OSTYPE
FreeBSD
bash# exit
fac13# /compat/linux/bin/tcsh
fac13# echo $OSTYPE
linux

And  even under tcsh, it can still tell:

install: system is freebsd; but ./freebsd does not exist.
         Incorrect tarfile downloaded?
Exiting...

somewhow, it still knows it's not linux (actually, i think it looks for
linux86)

what *did* help (and get me further, but not to the end)  was
synmlinking egcs-2.91.66 to 2.7.2.3.

also, I just discovered that setting $SYSTEM to linux86 gets me through
the early parts of the install, but not the later ones (this is the
variable *it* sets if it doesn't already exist)

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail